Monday, December 3, 2012

Our Haiti Home.

After our extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend we headed back home to Leogane.  This is me with two sweaty boys konked out…completely unaware of my baby belly that they were squishing.  Still a sweet moment to have them both snuggled close despite the sweat pools they left on me! =)

DSC02858

We spent a few more nights in a borrowed apartment while some last minute things were completed on our Haiti home and while we waited for our furniture to be delivered from Port Au Prince.  Here is a pic of our last dinner in the borrowed apartment:

DSC02874

Furniture was supposed to come on Monday but it was delayed till Tuesday evening due to a protest and the roads being blocked with burning tires.  Not too bad of a delay I suppose.  Here is our furniture being delivered to the orphanage!  It created quite a stir for the girls at the orphanage and for the neighborhood!  The girls were mostly excited to play with all the cardboard boxes and styrofoam packaging.DSC02868

DSC02869

Here it is!  It was an exciting evening…followed by a couple days of Jody and I putting together beds, tables, chairs, etc.  This past week was exhausting and I didn’t sleep well.  It was difficult to turn my mind off at night with all the things that I wanted/needed to get done the next day.  But we are mostly settled and living life in our Haiti Home!  I think it looks HUGE in this picture!  Three bedrooms upstairs and kitchen, living dining downstairs.

DSC02870

DSC02880

This is our “front yard”.  The building you see is where the orphanage girls live.

DSC02882

DSC02883

Here is our dining room.  And I bet you didn’t know this but it is snowing in Haiti!  Josiah and I cut out several snowflakes from coffee filters to decorate.

DSC02884

Our living room.

DSC02885

Looking back at our dining/kitchen area.

DSC02886

This is our kitchen.  We have a propane stove and refrigerator so we are able to keep food and cook before the generator kicks in from 5:30pm-9pm.  We buy large bottles of water for cooking and drinking and use well water for cleaning/bathing.

DSC02887

Here is our bathroom.  The large blue barrel holds well water so we can bucket flush our toilets and take bucket baths.  I am learning that you can never have too many buckets when you use them to haul water for everything!  I never realized how often we use water and how much I have taken running water for granted back in the States.  We have a built in workout just trying to keep our house and our bodies clean. =)  Something to be thankful for I guess.

DSC02891

John Ellis being cute in his Caribbean shirt.  Living island life! 

I have some videos that I am trying to post too of our borrowed apartment and our current place but with limited time in the evenings with internet I am finding it difficult to have time to upload it to YouTube. 

Please be praying for us to continue to being healthy.  The boys REALLY like playing in the dirt and water in our yard…both are sources of disease here in Haiti.  Pray that I will know the fine line between letting them just be kids and at the same time keeping them safe.  I am trusting God with them. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE all the pictures and your blog! Thanks so much, Jessica, for keeping us up to date. Praying for you all! I know a really good baby-sitter available for a week or so to keep kids entertained for you... :)all I need is a room at the Haitian Holiday Inn around the corner from you! or was that a Super 8? Mom :)

    ReplyDelete