Tuesday, December 11, 2012

School is Back in Session: Part One.

This past week we started but up with homeschooling Josiah for kindergarten and Lucas for preschool. I feel like our week went pretty well overall (at least on the homeschool front). I thought with the break that they might have to go back and relearn some things (especially Josiah with some of the math concepts and with his reading) but I have been pleasantly surprised that the break seemed to solidify things and he seems to be doing even better and is more motivated then ever before with his reading. It is amazing to watch someone go from being illiterate to being a reader! So fun!

DSC02900-2012_12_10-19_17_57-UTC_thu

I personally had a difficult week. Last Friday was the worst. I think this could be called

Culture. Shock. AND it is bad.

I am struggling to have a good attitude and not focus entirely on the negative things around me.

Please pray for me! Even now! Just a quick prayer for joy to overwhelm my days and peace to invade our home.

Thanks.

Saturday was a day of refreshment. We went with the Rounke’s (our team leaders) to a beach and met a couple of other missionary families from the States that are here with another organization. There were lots of little white kids running around playing….which is not a common sight in Haiti! Here are some pics from our beach excursion. I could come here a couple times per month and be happy, happy…although I am told it is not the nicest beach in Haiti…it was a great spot for kids (a bay area with tiny waves, shallow waters, mostly isolated) and was close to home.

DSC02914-2012_12_10-19_17_57-UTC_thu

DSC02919-2012_12_10-19_17_57-UTC_thu

Yes that really white skin that I am sporting is now lobster red…and it hurts.

DSC02920-2012_12_10-19_17_57-UTC_thu

DSC02921-2012_12_10-19_17_57-UTC_thu

DSC02922-2012_12_10-19_17_57-UTC_thu

DSC02923-2012_12_10-19_17_57-UTC_thu

There are many things about Haiti that are difficult for me right now, but I am happy to be able to post pictures of such beauty and say that this is my new home.

2 comments:

  1. Please be with Jessica as she makes this transition to a totally different lifestyle in Haiti. When the realities of the Haitian life hit hard, send her reminders of beauty & put her focus on Your purposes of this life You have called them to live. Provide resources & support that give glory to Your name... that only You could provide. Thank you, Lord, for school getting started on such a positive note for the boys. Give them all great joy amidst the hardness. I am blessed to have my daughter seeking Your will in Haiti. Use this time for bringing others into your Kingdom & empower them to walk each day in victory. May they know they are being missed, but loved & encouraged from many people. I love you, Jessica. Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweet moms prayer - blessed my heart :). Praying joy overflowing for you!!!! May you be reminded that obedience to God is the best - even when it is hard!!!! Grace for today Lord - give Jessica grace for each moment. Please Lord give her sweet gifts to reminder her of your love today!

    ReplyDelete